Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Q&A with Deftones.

Started by cesar421, Nov 13, 2012, 04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sett

I am pretty sure they are lurking here, or at least they used to.

Subliminal

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Nov 14, 2012, 02:00 AM
Quote from: Danny Keyes on Nov 14, 2012, 01:51 AM
i felt ashamed with the constant pestering of the sharing lungs question.
Yeah it's not like they have to have any views on this site ,I wouldn't come here if i was them why would you want to see everything to do criticised and rated

1+

I don't think I've ever seen much praise for Deftones on here or their own official board whenever it's been running. Should be called SharingCritique.

VictorPL

Quote from: deftoner664 on Nov 13, 2012, 11:34 PM
Stephen is the shit, and he can be very bold in his statements, he doesnt hold back and you know he means it.. Or he's completely fucking with you for some laughs lol Abe is very outgoing, and he likes to be a bit sarcastic and joke around as mentioned, but he can be very personable with his conversations.. I get the down to earth vibe from Stephen, Abe, and Frank. As for Sergio, I only met him during the DE tour and he seemed rather reserved but excited to be around fans... After all, they're just humans like you and I, they get annoyed and overwhelmed by the same old monotonous questions and routines, you would too if you been doing this since 1989. For a lot of you who haven't met them, the one that's most disappointing is Chino. For the last two decades he's dealt with floods of fans bombarding him, and for Chino it probably does get old. Yes, he will sign your stuff, say a few words, but over all he's reserved and just wants to get his job done and get to the next city, show, event, recording session, or in his case, home. That's just my 2 cents of rant on these guys.

i had a cool situation with chino, this was a couple months before the release of DE in amsterdam. a day before the concert im sitting in a coffee shop smoking up with my frinds when one of them goes "yo, its chino!'. im didnt beleive him but then i looked over and i see him with his gf, he walks past us to a gift shop. i was pretty star struck because hes my favorite vocalist of all time, so i go after him to the shop, ask him if we can take a pic after hes done, he says 'sure'. a couple minutes later im sitting with my friends at the table and chino walks out and is actually looking for us. comes up, we talk like 10 min, take a pic. i asked him if he wants to smoke up but says no that hes with his gf. then he walked off and i went to his concert the next day. so all in all, i guess i caught him on a good day because he was cool as fuck.

Vesanic

Quote from: Subliminal on Nov 14, 2012, 09:50 AM
Yeah it's not like they have to have any views on this site ,I wouldn't come here if i was them why would you want to see everything to do criticised and rated

1+

I don't think I've ever seen much praise for Deftones on here or their own official board whenever it's been running. Should be called SharingCritique.

Hahaha what?! Most people here are all over KNY and a fairly high amount of people think it's their best effort to date!

TheShade1989

Vesanic is right, look at all the praise they're getting for KNY. They're not children, they know that not everyone is gonna like the album, they can handle it. That said, I would imagine that even the most self-confident ppl will kinda feel hurt or take a hit to their ego to read the negative stuff, because even if you're realistic and you know not everyone loves it, as musicians who make music they love and want fans to love it too, it'd probably suck to actually see the comments. So I dont blame them for avoiding it.

Also, that Q&A was hilariously lame. Most of the questions were lame as well as the answers. Cool that they said about adding new/different songs to the setlists and about Pink Maggit though, but needless to say, noone should get their hopes up.

That said, I dont think they're assholes. I understand they came across as disrespectful, bored time-wasters, but at the same time, I just think it depends on the mood they're in at the time as well as the fact that things dont always come across the same way over the internet. I'm not making excuses, I just think they can act like assholes and they can also act like the most relaxed, nice ppl in the world, depending on the circumstances. So ah well.

DeftonesNZ

Yeah but i just imagine at this stage of their career they don't even care that much any-more they've got used to the criticism now i just don't think they'd come on here to seek validation if they did it would be to mess with us or have a laugh

xToxin

Quote from: Vesanic on Nov 14, 2012, 11:13 AM

1+

Hahaha what?! Most people here are all over KNY and a fairly high amount of people think it's their best effort to date!

People take the negative opinions more serious because they know it's mostly from older fans, and the new fans love KNY. They are onto the next thing probably after the excitement wears off.

Sett

If they ever play Pink Maggit live, half of the people in the crowd would wonder what is this strange version of Back to school.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: Sett on Nov 14, 2012, 01:34 PM
If they ever play Pink Maggit live, half of the people in the crowd would wonder what is this strange version of Back to school.
sadly yes ,how many times have you seen deftones videos wrongly named as Change lol

TheShade1989

Quote from: xToxin on Nov 14, 2012, 01:34 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on Nov 14, 2012, 11:13 AM

1+

People take the negative opinions more serious because they know it's mostly from older fans, and the new fans love KNY. They are onto the next thing probably after the excitement wears off.

I dont think it's mostly the new fans. Granted, I've only been a fan for about three yrs, but they are without a doubt my favorite band, and that's including their older albums. But I think it depends where you're at in your life, emotionally or musically. I mean, fans that have been into them since their first couple of albums were released probably connected the angst or whatever, and over time they may have gone in a similar direction to Deftones where they're more mellowed-out or can connect with their newer sound. Whereas others will still be into the same sound and feelings frm early Deftones and so will prefer the older stuff. But new fans can be the same. With me, I prefer that dark, raw or fantastical music frm them frm ST and WP because it connects the most with me, even though I became a fan of them around the time they started making DE.

lungdamage

ask them if they signed a contract to play bored -7 words encore for the rest of their life?

pissedandpierced

Quote from: Subliminal on Nov 13, 2012, 11:20 PM
Quote from: pissedandpierced on Nov 13, 2012, 11:18 PM
Quote from: Subliminal on Nov 13, 2012, 11:14 PM

Steph is a legend if you can get the time to hang out with him, I just think they hate the internet and same old, lame ass questions. I always remember Steph saying in an interview that he could care less about the songs they write, since they're just that... songs and he gets bored of them.

Saying that, I don't think I've ever heard the band thank the fans for anything probably other than the love and support for Chi, so I guess they come off pretty smug.

I've met stef and I wouldn't have said that he was a legend.

What was your experience with him then? cause I had a brilliant one to be honest, even though he's cynical as fuck.

He was really rude to me. Chino and Abe were lovely though.
"It's good to be classic, it kinda shows that we're old" - Chino Moreno, Kerrang! Awards 2007

DJR

I asked 6 questions..no response :(

from_musings

Quote from: pissedandpierced on Nov 14, 2012, 06:37 PM
He was really rude to me.

Quote from: DJR on Nov 14, 2012, 06:37 PM

what about self-criticism.. is there anything you could've done differently

DJR

Quote from: from_musings on Nov 14, 2012, 07:22 PM
He was really rude to me.

Quote from: DJR on Nov 14, 2012, 06:37 PM

what about self-criticism.. is there anything you could've done differently

No i think they were reasonably ok questions.... im putting it down to the fact they had alot to get through haha

deftoolsys07

Quote from: Subliminal on Nov 13, 2012, 11:20 PM
Quote from: pissedandpierced on Nov 13, 2012, 11:18 PM
Quote from: Subliminal on Nov 13, 2012, 11:14 PM

Steph is a legend if you can get the time to hang out with him, I just think they hate the internet and same old, lame ass questions. I always remember Steph saying in an interview that he could care less about the songs they write, since they're just that... songs and he gets bored of them.

Saying that, I don't think I've ever heard the band thank the fans for anything probably other than the love and support for Chi, so I guess they come off pretty smug.

I've met stef and I wouldn't have said that he was a legend.

What was your experience with him then? cause I had a brilliant one to be honest, even though he's cynical as fuck.

He was really rude to me. Chino and Abe were lovely though.

Stef's deal is that he is just completely straight-up. He does not fuck around or talk bullshit, and he even made us aware of that the other night haha. Yes, he is easy to talk to, and my favorite out of the band because we have met on numerous occasions and smoked him out on their bus, because he is really down to earth. But yeah he doesn't always have flattering stuff to say. Still have mad respect for him.
Check out my soundcloud/ facebook page with some music...

http://soundcloud.com/dan-koetter/

pissedandpierced

So that makes it ok to be a dick to a complete stranger?
"It's good to be classic, it kinda shows that we're old" - Chino Moreno, Kerrang! Awards 2007

Vesanic

Nope, but don't expect any change, haha.

Sett

Quote from: pissedandpierced on Nov 14, 2012, 08:22 PM
So that makes it ok to be a dick to a complete stranger?
Why don't you just describe the whole situation ?