Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

How would you arrange the KNY tracklist?

Started by Ortegasm, Nov 09, 2012, 09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ortegasm

As much as I love the album, some songs seem out of place so I arranged them in an order that makes more sense (to me).

Poltergeist
Swerve City
Entombed
Gauze
Goon Squad <---- Intro makes a great segue
Romantic Dreams
Leathers
What Happened To You?
Tempest
Graphic Nature
Rosemary <---- This would have been an awesome closer

What would you do?

scarywindow

This album doesn't need to be touched.  I would understand a BIT more if we had a few extra songs to work with that didn't make the record, but it is arranged in the BEST possible order on the official version.  it has the best flow it could possibly have right now.  i'm very happy they moved Poltergeist from the opening slot and replaced it with Swerve City.  i love Poltergeist, but it just doesn't belong as the opening track on this record. 

i liken this record to the Cure's 'Disintegration' - change around the order of any track and you ruin the whole beautiful masterpiece in a way.  everything in its right place, all dynamics working to the album's advantage.  just my 2 cents.

976-EVIL

One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

scatterbrain

im me and thats all ill ever be

only pieces remain

DeftonesNZ

Neither i think it was ordered perfectly

deftones47

gwenudo

wouldnt change it for the world. if you listen well the entire album is like a story .. no need to skip chapters here and there and rearrange them .. it all flows beautifully like a story
Was it like it seemed?...

jciraheta

Leathers
Sweve city
etonbed
graphic nature
tempes
Romantic dreams
Poltergeist
Goon squad
Whty
Rosemary

sooniletugo

"etonbed", think I must've missed that track?

seasick

Agreeing with all of the "no change" statements. This is the first time since White Pony that I haven't even thought about a different track order.

bewareofrats

I think they did a great job at placing the songs.  It doesn't fizzle out like Diamond Eyes and start to sound too much the same.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

sing blue silver

I'd switch Poltergeist and Swerve City. But at least with Swerve City opening I can just start at track 2 and let the rest play.

lungdamage

^ i agree

yeah, i've listened to as intended for a while, now i've i re-orded the track list ;) i'm guilty.

i reckon swerve works great second but not first...

so i'd go with poltergeist first (i briefly considered good squad.... but i'd just move it to after entombed maybe... and move rosmeary to after what happened to you...

just my two bobs... for an an alternate order.

Jerry_Curls

To me,  there's just something amazing about "Rosemary" being the opener. I love how quiet it is, then all the space starts to get filled in by Frank. Once Stef starts playing, it feels like "OK..here is where the Koi No Yokan shuttle takes off". It reminds me of "Bored" in the sense that it takes a while for it to start. From ATF to DE...they all have songs thats start off "quickly". Not saying thats a bad thing, I just prefer Rosemary to open up the album because of the layers, the heaviness, and that fucking beautiful outro. I would even keep "Goon Squad" as the 2nd track. It flows so amazingly well.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

lungdamage

Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Nov 13, 2012, 01:00 AM
To me,  there's just something amazing to me about "Rosemary" being the opener. I love how quiet it is, then all the space starts to get filled in by Frank. Once Stef starts playing, it feels like "OK..here is where the Koi No Yokan shuttle takes off". It reminds me of "Bored" in the sense that it takes a while for it to start. From ATF to DE...they all have songs thats start off "quickly". Not saying thats a bad thing, I just prefer Rosemary to open up the album because of the layers, the heaviness, and that fucking beautiful outro. I would even keep "Goon Squad" as the 2nd track. It flows so amazingly well.

from a purely musical (non lyrical) standpoint, this could have been arranged so many ways..

i'll post my two alternate tracklists after i've tried them, i've already written them out on paper ;)

i'll let you know how i go

lungdamage

tried that..

rosemary builds like a statement then meanders and the simple chug ending shouldn't have had it's ambiance fade out - frank should have built more and more layers on the heavy riff until it ended there. (hopefully not for as long, it looses it's magic on the record i reckon)

that stuff and a bit too long for an opener as the middle meanders about a bit

IMO ;)

Jerry_Curls

Quote from: lungdamage on Nov 13, 2012, 01:19 AM
tried that..

rosemary builds like a statement then meanders and the simple chug ending shouldn't have had it's ambiance fade out - fanrk should have built more and more til it ended there.   so unless they cut the song to half the time, shorten and make sonically bigger the ending (not the clean outro) ... can't it fit at the start :( too long + meandering in the middle.

Oh yeah, thats my only gripe. Frank should made the noise go to 11. Continue that noise and cut off abruptly and then the outro would've made it perfect. But yeah....we can't change that, so to each their own. I like it at the beginning :-)
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

lungdamage

;) we agree on the most important thing though haha