Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

My attempt at Rocket Skates

Started by Ponte506, Nov 09, 2009, 05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponte506

Well, I spent pretty much all of last night obsessing over how to play Rocket Skates, and obviously from the severe lack of good shots of Stephen playing as well as a really clear audio sample, it proved to be quite a challenge, ESPECIALLY the super bassy intro.  But, after being confident that I figured out what he was playing, I decided to upload it:

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oRenMpEFN1U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oRenMpEFN1U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
[/youtube]

Obviously some minor errors and timing mistakes, plus I might be playing sections of the song in the wrong order, but I think you guys get the picture.

Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated.  Let's try and tackle this song  :)

Shadow46/2

Awesome job, man! Actually made me appreciate the song more than the videos, now that I can actually hear the riff clearly.
Extra points for the Boba Fett helmet.  ;D

Would you happen to know what the tuning would be on a six-string? If that's even possible?

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

Ponte506

Yup, for a six-string the tuning would be BEADGB.  Make sure you got some thick ole strings on there!  My suggestion if its a 6 string, non baritone:

11, 15, 18, 28, 38, 58.  That's right, a 58 on the 6th string.  Why?  Because it has a very fat sound to it, and it'll help retain that drop B a lot better than a standard gauge string.  This is the exact string set up Mick Thompson from Slipknot uses, and it's awesome on my Ibanez 6 string. 

mono

brutal!  :D
nice job!
congratulations

Inkblades

Nice job. Sounds like you pretty much nailed it.

shine down unshy

Hidalgo

Shadow46/2

The strings I got are already pretty fat, but I long since discarded the package, so I'm not sure of the gauge.  But it should suffice.

Now I just need to find that electric tuner...don't judge. >_>;

ablackswan

it sounds great.
nice pedals collection
*Tous ensemble pour leur foutre au cul*

Quote from: VesanicJustin Bieber sounds like Adrenaline

Ponte506

Quote from: ablackswan on Nov 09, 2009, 11:08 PM
it sounds great.
nice pedals collection

Thanks man, I'll tell you what, trying to hook up all those pedals to the board, getting it routed right through the Decimator noise suppressor honestly took hours...hope I never have to do that shit again.

Appreciate all of the positive feedback.  I'm REALLY itching for this album, and what sucks is we have NO singles, no promos, nothing.  I think the only taste of "New Album" we'll be getting are a barrage of Rocket Skates clips recorded live at the upcoming shows till album release.  Who knows, maybe they'll play something new. 

I'm hoping for one of those "Hole in the Earth" type of deals they had on their myspace a few months before the album dropped.  God, hearing a new single right off the album on their myspace would make my fucking day.

kameron632

DUDE!
That sounds just like it!

kameron632

Ponte506

kameron632

Shadow46/2

Since we're on the subject of tabs, does anyone here happen to know the tabs for Finger of Death? I can't find it anywhere on the net, so I figured this site would be my only other option.

yeah

Quote from: Shadow46/2 on Nov 10, 2009, 05:57 AM
Since we're on the subject of tabs, does anyone here happen to know the tabs for Finger of Death? I can't find it anywhere on the net, so I figured this site would be my only other option.

only Stephen does

p.s. but I've seen a couple of covers on YouTube!

yeah

Quote from: Ponte506 on Nov 09, 2009, 06:01 PM
Yup, for a six-string the tuning would be BEADGB.  Make sure you got some thick ole strings on there!  My suggestion if its a 6 string, non baritone:

11, 15, 18, 28, 38, 58.  That's right, a 58 on the 6th string.  Why?  Because it has a very fat sound to it, and it'll help retain that drop B a lot better than a standard gauge string.  This is the exact string set up Mick Thompson from Slipknot uses, and it's awesome on my Ibanez 6 string. 

What are the gauges of yours, sc607 I guess? Is it baritone guitar or not?
Can I have a few suggestions from you? What strings should I get if I want to have a G# tuning on sc207? As well as having enough tension of dropped G# (lowest string dropped to F#) sometimes.