Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Smokeout Festival

Started by Inkblades, Oct 24, 2009, 10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

Any of you going to this? If so, tell us how it was in here.

stoneFeD

it was insane. ill post some pics when i get the chance. but overall i got my moneys worth

sharinglungs

did they play Rocket Skates or something else?

beLIEve

Deftones-argentina

Quote from: beLIEve on Oct 26, 2009, 01:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlQ6J_Nf9_4

nice video of rocket skates. I must admit that at first I quite disliked it but now I'm feeling it more and more. Time will tell I guess.

rock_n_frost

why no one record it from begining to end ,fuck..
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

Nathan

I've been itching to share my review.

I should note that I've seen Deftones live about 14 times in Southern California...I've witnessed epic, bone-chilling sets (palladium 2000) and brutally mediocre sets (Ventura theater last December).

I am a regular on this forum, though I don't post terribly often.  Anyway, I downloaded the August Pukkelpop show when it hit this board, and it really worried me.  I felt like they were just going through the motions, with little energy or spark.  I hoped that this could be attributed to the fact that it was one of their first shows post-chi, and just plain rust in general.  Though, I got pretty nervous at the prospect that they may not be able to be magical anymore without their brother.  But now, after attending the Smokeout Festival, I can loudly and proudly proclaim that my worries were totally put to rest!

Their set was AMAZING...top to bottom.
They burst onstage, opening with Rocket Skates.  I got a few weird looks for semi-singing along...I guess people wondered why/how I knew a song that was so new...guess they're strangers to this great board.
I LOVE this song...the riff is sickness, and Chino's yells are greatness...it's hard and exciting, back to the basics.
Shove it was next, which got all the casual Def fans excited.
I can't quite remember the exact order, but the overwhelming thing that really stuck with me was that the set was 85% HARD shit.
They did not let up for a second, it was incredible!
Girls telephoning boys, Hexagram, Lotion, Elite, Back to School (Steph goofed up on the intro and Chino wondered aloud whether Steph was the highest man in attendance...haha, the place was one big cloud of weed smoke), Root, Nosebleed and 7 words (set closer).
They were completely unrelenting.  I love that they left out bqad, minerva, bored, hole in the earth etc...good songs, but we've heard them enough already, and they just stall a live set in my opinion.
They also added the WP greats: Passenger (Chino was really into it, very passionate delivery), Feiticeira, Change and Knife Party (always wonderful live, Chino did the Rodleen part, it was beautiful).
Not a single SNW song...I won't even speculate on the reasoning.

The whole band (including Sergio) was extremely high energy the entire hour.  They were really having fun out there.  Chino was running around like a kid again, back and forth throughout the entire set.  At one point he even layed down onstage from exhaustion, proving his heart and soul were very much in this performance.  He even went into the crowd somewhat (on the edge of the guard rail).  They were very tight together...the tiny Steph blunder was the only one I noticed.
I contemplated bringing my video camera to the show, but a) wasn't sure if they were allowed, and b) didn't want the burden of having to worry about the stupid camera the whole time and not being able to enjoy the set.
I'm happy to say that I saw at least 1 dude taking video, so there is at least a glimmer of hope that this brilliant set will reach our ears at some point.  I'm praying that someone shares it here, I really want all you guys to enjoy this experience.
On another note, I took lots of pics...a couple good, but most bad.
But I will post them here the moment my girlfriend uploads them to my photobucket.

My life just keeps getting better, cuz I just saw the pic for the Chi benefit show on Twitter.
The Avalon is one of the best (and most reasonably intimate) places in la to see a band like Deftones.
I can't wait!  And I'll be sure to share another review.
Thanks for reading.
We'll stop to rest on the moon, and we'll make fire.
I'll steal a carcass for you, and feed off the virus.

rock_n_frost

awesome review..

so smoke out festival doesnt have their pro-shot video ?

sharinglungs

Quote from: rock_n_frost on Oct 26, 2009, 11:55 AM
awesome review..

so smoke out festival doesnt have their pro-shot video ?

Look at the second youtube link, the one of Rocket Skates.. theres a guy with a "semi" pro cam.

rock_n_frost

now i saw that..
i hope he is working on upload it now...

Jerry_Curls

Uhhh..some guy at the beginning yelled "Chino, te lo mammo" [Chino I'll suck you dick]...hahah faggot.

I love the ambience at the beginning. Something We haven't heard yet from the Rocket Skates videos. It's also great to see lighting during their set instead of the boring white lights they had for the other videos.

Quote from: Nathan on Oct 26, 2009, 10:08 AM

My life just keeps getting better, cuz I just saw the pic for the Chi benefit show on Twitter.
The Avalon is one of the best (and most reasonably intimate) places in la to see a band like Deftones.
I can't wait!  And I'll be sure to share another review.
Thanks for reading.

Please do share. They're playing at the Avalon? Fuck yes!
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

Urantia23

Uhhh..some guy at the beginning yelled "Chino, te lo mammo" [Chino I'll suck you dick]...hahah faggot.
[/quote]

lol  ;D

rock_n_frost

Quote from: Jerry_Curls on Oct 26, 2009, 05:45 PM

when i went to the deftones concert here, there was a guy screaming ''fuck my mother chinooo''

Inkblades

Quote from: rock_n_frost on Oct 26, 2009, 07:11 PM

when i went to the deftones concert here, there was a guy screaming ''fuck my mother chinooo''

ROFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFL

We at Sharinglungs might be fanboys, but at least we aren't THAT bad.

nineteenpeoplesnames

I love the melodies in Rocket Skates.

jesusinabowlofdirt

yeah yeah "this guy.." .. we all know it was you

Deft_16_Ones

Wasnt that HEXAGRAMWOLDXXXX or whatever his name is? I wouldnt be surprise if it was him we all know his bitch squealing

Anyway thanks for the review and videos :)

Vesanic

Here's a little raw selection I've done...

Intro   ( sounds good, what d'you think ? )   + Rocket Skates

[youtube=425,350]rlQ6J_Nf9_4[/youtube]

Rocket Skates ( short and not so good quality )

[youtube=425,350]nHjeHTRp2X0[/youtube]

Rocket Skates  ( Full version, but poor quality )

[youtube=425,350]19agXn5Kzow[/youtube]

Rocket Skates + My Own Summer ( too much bass )

[youtube=425,350]dSxZn3pJIJg[/youtube]

My Own Summer

[youtube=425,350]H0YsOIHaZu8[/youtube]

When Girls Telephone Boys

[youtube=425,350]pMWeLVN9m10[/youtube]

Root + Nosebleed

[youtube=425,350]WOfKsEZ7B1E[/youtube]

Root ( better quality )

[youtube=425,350]-te-Z4Tnm_w[/youtube]

Lotion

[youtube=425,350]6qaxK6jzeEw[/youtube]

Feiticeira

[youtube=425,350]DIBPaV4jdb8[/youtube]

Back to School

[youtube=425,350]cC663r_aU-Y[/youtube]

Passenger

[youtube=425,350]jV4BcvOlNF4[/youtube]

Elite

[youtube=425,350]KQf3YLAxc1k[/youtube]

Hexagram

[youtube=425,350]Pw64pN6KPBU[/youtube]

7 Words

[youtube=425,350]TrWYjeMRmgU[/youtube]

My thoughts are that Chino sounds better and better but Sergio too. Especially on Root

Nathan

Great compilation!
Wish one of Knife Party would surface...

Oh, and about Sergio...you're so right, I meant to mention that.
I was very pleased with his performance.
He's looking comfortable now, and less like a fill-in.
Lets face it, no one belts out the backing yells like Chi, but Serg is gettin better and better.
We'll stop to rest on the moon, and we'll make fire.
I'll steal a carcass for you, and feed off the virus.