Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Do you agree with the album's singles elections?

Started by Deftones-argentina, Jul 31, 2009, 10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deftones-argentina

Before any whiny biAtch (we don't trust none) fiercely attacks, this is not a "they destroyed their carreer not using Xo as a single, fuck them" thread. It's a place to just debate which songs you think would have been more successful as singles.

I have to admit that I agree on the cuts of the first 3 albums. Even though I don-t like that much 7 words I must admit it-s a real deftones hymn. Maybe head up could have been added as a single, to get all the people who loves deftones heaviest side really pumped.

In Deftones, Minerva was perfect as first step. But I don-t think BLoody cape and Hexagram are nice singles at all. Then again, that album has not many catchy songs (which can be good for an album, but not for promotional singles), maybe using needles and pins would have fit as second single. And I must admit that it would have been interesting to use Lucky you as the last single, deftones have never ever shown that side of them so "publicly", plus I think a video for a song like that would have nice vissuals and scenes.

On snw, I really liked them using hole in the earth as first single, it-s like they were telling their own story to the fans, It-s a real pitty that such a shitty video was done. Oh, mein, oh mein...WTF? The video makes me dislike the song even more. And though Beware and Cherry waves could work really well as singles since they are solid songs, my choice would go to Kim D. Fuck, who doesn-t loves that intro? It-s so shivering, people would have bought 10 snw copies even without hearing the rest of that song. Really strong Chorus, nice vocal effects. It would be really booming when new people see the track live, but whatever.

lithium

i cant imagine hearing anything off adrenaline on mainstream radio, and bqad and my own summer where perfect singles for around the fur. change, digital bath, and back to school are also, perfectly selected singles. the promotion they put forth on w/p is insanely brilliant. the short film, the advertising, the artwork, excellent support from the record company. wish they could gain some of that back in the future.

for the s/t lp, hexagram, minerva and bloody cape were good, but i think wgtb and battle axe would have worked better for the heavy metal crowd. the songs: good morning beautiful, deathblow, when girls telephone boys, and battle-axe, have always told me a story, and i can visually see a short film made to the tune of those four songs.

on snw, hole in the earth was a perfect first single, but i agree with you that cherry waves or kimdracula would have been far better singles than mein. combat would have been good as well. the videos meant well, but i don't think the tones had creative control over either one.
💩

Urantia23

I almost agree but.. My choice would have been:

Adrenaline:
   Bored
   7 Words
+ Lifter

Around The Fur:
   My Own Sumer (Shove It)  -undoubtedly
   Be quiet and Drive (Far Away) - again undoubtedly
   Around The Fur EPK
+ Lotion

White Pony:
   Back to School
   Digital Bath
   Change (In the House of Flies)
   EPK (Brilliant!)
Street Carp
+ Knife Party

Deftones EPK   (Couldn't ask more)

S/T:
   Hexagram
   Minerva
Bloody Cape
+ When the Girls Telephone Boys

Saturday Night Wrist:
   Hole in the Earth
- Mein
+ Kimdracula  :D
or
+ Combat  :D
or both!

Eros.. ----> Eros: WTF!
??? ??

lithium

💩

defskull

I think "Good Morning Beautiful" would have been a great single for Deftones. 

For SNW, I think "Beware" would have been a great single actually.  But Kim Dracula would have been good too.  I know some casual fans of Deftones that liked that song a lot.

Vesanic

Inkblades

I think they have mostly made good choices strictly based on picking songs. They do need better music video directors, though. Anyway, here goes:

Adrenaline: Minus Blindfold. I could also see Lifter, One Weak or Birthmark.

Around The Fur: Around The Fur, of course. I'm still curious as to what the video they shot for it looks like. Steph directed it, right? Alas, another rare/lost Deftones artifact. Mascara might have been interesting as a single.

White Pony: Definitely seems like their most single friendly album, surpised they didn't take advantage of it more (although Change was a great choice for lead single). Back To School was ok for what it was, but it didn't really need a video. Should have been just a b-side. RX Queen could have been a huge hit for them. Korea would have been good, showcasing their darker, harder side while still being catchy. Feiticeira, Elite, Teenager, Knife Party...could picture them all as singles.

S/T: I think they made generally good choices. Bloody Cape should have had a better video though. Something a little more surreal than what they went for. I remember Chino saying he wanted a video for AOAUE that would be similar to the video for Radiohead's "Pyramid Song". They should have went through on that one.

SNW: HITE was a good single choice, but awful video. Kimdracula, Cherry Waves, Combat, Riviere...all would have been better than Mein. Don't know what they were thinking on that one.

kameron632

I think Cherry Waves woulda been perfect for SNW.
Adrenaline had good singles and so did ATF (But i wish lotion woulda been a single).
S/T, I think Needles and Pins woulda been good along with Battle - Axe and WGTB.
White Pony.....Passenger Hands down woulda been perfect, along with Elite, Maybe RX Queen.
Eros......some thing that sounds good

buddyboy101

SNW - I think it's obvious "Mein" was the second single because Serj from SOAD was on it (big name = sales, right?  not so much).  I agree that Kimdrakula would have been a much better single.  It's catchy as hell.  And regarding the Mein video - they had full creative control...

S/T - Good Morning Beautiful has my vote.  Not my fav. song ever, but definitely a memorable chorus.

All the other singles seemed fine...except why the hell wasn't "Root" released as a single?  One of the sickest riffs ever!

defTHE1s

Adrenaline is ok with 7 Words and Bored, but Birthmark and Nosebleed would have been great as singles.
ATF: Great, with MOS. I don't like that much BQAD but it's Ok. Of course, most of us wanted to see the ATF video and single... that would've kick ass for sure, and as another single, HeadUp, Lotion or Mascara would kick
AS for White Pony, yeah, there is the most single friendly album, Change great, Digital Bath awesome.. but Back to school... maybe another option, like Korea, Knife Prty...
For Deftones s/t also great choices... Minerva what an opener for an album era... Bloody Cape It's great in my opinion and Hexagram too, but maybe Lucky You, Needles & Pins or WGTB woulda been better that Hexagram.. who knows...
and for SNW.... well... maybe HITE was good.. but Mein.... no, i don't think so.. maybe it's better Beware, Combat or Riviére....

hope that the new album would be greater than SNW..

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

theis

i agree with most of the single choices.

'7 words' was a great choice. never been a big fan of 'bored'... i would've chosen 'root' instead. 'my own summer' and 'bqad', obvious great choices.

'change' and 'digital bath' - who can disagree with these? two of the greatest songs ever written. would've picked 'korea' instead of 'back to school'.

'minerva' and 'hexagram' - no complaining here either. awesome songs.

the single choices for 'satruday night wrist' are not my cup of tea though. 'hole in the earth' is cool, but there are way better songs on that album. 'mein' is one of the weakest tracks.

i would've chosen 'beware',  'cherry waves'....and 'combat'.

Hidalgo

here's the singles i would have put out if i was them

adrenaline -  7 words, board 

atf - mos, bqad

wp - change, knife prty, digital bath ( they should have never re released wp with bts on it, it should have been on the little nicky sountrack as a single maybe, 4th single) and if they could have got maynard to do a video for passenger, that would have been huge. it would have done fine as just a radio single too

deftones . minerva, needles and pins (n&p would have gotten solid airplay, hexagram got no airplay, dumb choice)

snw . combat, kim dracula, cherry waves, xerces, and hite. yea i think this album had 5 tunes that could have all got solid radioplay. but they went with mein, DUMB. real dumb. they need to talk to me first before they decide on a single

No More Sugar

QuoteSome one tell me shut up.

pixElsblUr

Caín

this is what i would've picked. in that specific order.

adrenaline:

7 words
bored
engine no. 9

around the fur:
be quiet and drive
my own summer
mascara

white pony:
change
back to school
knife prty

s/t:
needles and pins
good morning beautiful
moana

saturday night wrist:
cherry waves
combat
riviere

Nebontha

My response to this thread:
No, not entirely, there's some songs I wish got made into singles, but it's too late to change the past.
QuoteKKK=Good?

Motherfucking racists.

No More Sugar

Quote from: pixElsblUr on Aug 06, 2009, 04:33 PM
no one asked you kid

what? i love all the deftones songs equally...that's what i meant, you're so defensive :/
QuoteSome one tell me shut up.

Deftones-argentina

Well Kid, life has taught me that if you have nothing to say, you just say nothing. Maybe you should apply that to forums, too.

Is that what you were talking about, isn't it PixelsB? Got your back man.

Deft11_17ones

Adrenaline

Nosebleed
Birthmark

Around the fur

MOS
Dai the flu
Damone

White pony

RxQueen
Digital Bath
The Boy's republic