Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Brand New- The Devil Ang God Are Raging Inside Me

Started by hisnextfix, Nov 14, 2006, 11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skinnypuppy

I'm not sure if that's a direct insult because I don't like BN's new album that much, or just a random thought you wanted to share. Either way, I'll be the first to admit skinny puppy is a very hard band to get into.

black coffee

skinnypuppy

very good! On that note, I'ma make a Skinny Puppy thread.

Rapture_Brett

Could someone re-up "The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me" and "Deja Entendu."  Thanks.

skinnypuppy

Ok so I've grown VERY acceptive of this record, and now adore it. It actually made me fork over 70 bucks to get tickets to a sold out show theyre playing near me.

Amazing new album.

theis

i really like this album. i tried listening to their older stuff, but that didn't do anything for me.

this album, on the other hand, is pretty great.

black coffee

Deja Entendu should do something for everyone.

Jacob

Quote from: black coffee on Mar 22, 2007, 11:24 AM
Deja Entendu should do something for everyone.

yeah, it made me realize I should avoid this band at all costs in the future.

I was expecting something amazing but ended up listening to a My Chemical Romance copy who think they're doing something groundbreaking.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

theis

my chemical romance copy ? you can't be serious.

Jacob

annoying typical american emo vocals? fast paced drums to get that little "punk" feel? catchy choruses and guitar riffs?

I'm sorry, but if you like this and you're not a 14-18 year old american girl you should be ashamed.

theis

Jacob

prove me wrong.

I'm not typically an arrogant person, I try to be as open minded as I can. and I don't like putting down bands others listen to. but this is laughable.

let me just add that I've only listened to Deja Whatever. but I can't see this band expanding their horizons very much.

theis

trust me, 'the devil and god...' is waaaaay different than 'deja entendu'.

it's okay that you don't like them, but to say that one should be ashamed for listening to them is pretty dumb.

Jacob

ok, I'll check out that album too. and if I like it I promise to be honest and let you know.

oh, and here's the review of their first album from allmusic.com - thought it could be a good read:

QuoteBrand New is bitter about ex-girlfriends. Just how bitter? The lyrics to just about any song on their debut will give you an inkling, especially "Seventy Times 7," where they grieve: "Have another drink and drive yourself home/I hope there's ice on all the roads/And you can think of me when you forget your seat belt and again when your head goes through the windshield." Aside from all the excessive post-breakup angst, Brand New's emotive pop-punk holds up nicely among the big list of its contemporaries. There are several upbeat anthems with three-part harmonies, though a few ballads break up the high energy. They pay respect to post-punk in "Mix Tape," where they mention the Smiths, while cribbing from the Cure's "Close to Me" in "Logan to Government Center." The repeating refrain of "This isn't high school" in "Last Chance to Lose Your Keys" at least acknowledges that they've grown up, although in the closing singalong "Soco Amaretto Lime" they declare, "I'm gonna stay 18 forever." You'll probably feel 18 listening to this.

ben

people shouldn't be ashamed of listening to My Chemical Romance for that matter. 

Jacob

yeah, they should. but that's just my personal opinion. damn rip-offs trying to mix Blink 182 with Pink Floyd and Queen, haha.

as for Brand New - I've listened to the new album a bit now and I gotta say that they've matured a lot. I was wrong when doubting that they could broaden their horizons. some of the music is amazing but the vocals still annoy me on some songs. I can see myself listening to it once in a while though, and it will probably grow on me a bit.

there's no chance in hell I will start liking their earlier stuff though.

theis

ben

All i'm saying is, MCR never wrote songs with such immature meanings as Blink 182.  If it's the sound you don't like, fine, but you're just flat-out wrong if you think they're writing songs about parties and ex-girlfriends.

Now Brand New's first album was about parties and ex-girlfriends.  Deja Entendu was pretty much about that too.

I guess you just don't like what they're doing fusing pop punk and more classic rock?  Fine. 

I think you should say you don't like these bands because young kids do.  Just admit it.

I think what's most ironic about this is that I can't listen to 3 or more songs straight on the new album without turning it off.  I think they're trying to be something a lot more annoying now than they were on the two previous albums-- post-grunge "ive been in the darkness" b/s.  The guys are the new version of what Ben Folds is talking about in Rockin the Suburbs. haha

Glenn

dude, you praised the new album a couple of months ago.